Old 24-09-2004, 04:14 AM
Steve wachs

You cannot cut a Black Pine beyond it's needles. You lose that branch. You
have to Cut it back gradually. Removing part of the candles and forcing it to
bud back. You should get new growth somewhere along the branch once you get
new growth you can cut it back.
I would do this in the spring when the candles form, then remove about 1/2
length of candles, this should force the tree to put out new growth where
you have green needles. It is very difficult , if not impossible to get new
growth on a Black Pine where there are no needles.
I am not sure if this is a good time of year to do this though. I would
seek further advice as to preferred time of year in your area to do this.

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++