Old 18-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Lostin1999

"S. M. Henning" wrote in message
news
"Lostin1999" wrote:

nothing seems to touch blanket weed

I had good luck controlling severe blanket (string algae) weed that was
trapping and killing my fish (golden shiner minnows) like a spider web.
I used:

? Trap-door snails into the pond to eat the string algae.

can i get Trap door snails in the uk (legally?)

? Bale of barley straw to kill the string algae

ive been using barley straw, but its almost all rotted now (i was hoping
the cooler weather (its autumn(fall) now in uk) would mean no more needed
till next spring..) guess ill be off to the pond suppliers for some
pellets..

? Bacteria to help eliminate the dead algae.

would this be "added" bacteria or the ponds natural?? if added would
"filter booster" work?

I also have a lot of marginal filter plants in the pond to take the
nutrients out of the water.

next year im going to add some water hyacinth's, but as my pond is
ornamental one thing i didnt want was loads of plants (although im still
trying to design a veggie filter with a slow flow for my pond (but as its
got cooler ill probably not get it sorted till next spring!)

No filter, no UV, no pump, no Koi, no problem.

Congrats!!

Lost