Old 24-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Pat Kiewicz

njsteve said:

Hi,

I know its very late in the season, but we have a little pumpkin
growing now on a vine that is growing up around a weeping pine tree.
I'm worried that when the pumpkin gets a little bigger the stress will
make it fall off or hurt it so it can't grow. Do you think it would
shock the plant if I cut some of the tentacles that are holding it to
the pine tree or should I just leave it alone?

If you can't figure some way to support the pumpkin while it's in the tree,
go ahead and cut the tendrils. Have an assistant hold the pumpkin while
you cut the vine free. Untangle the vine (if neccessary) and lay it out on
the ground. The tendrils aren't vital equipment. I've pulled vines down
off fences and such when needed. Does no harm.

(attributed to Don Marti)