Old 24-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Jim & Iris,

Thanks for the responses. I would also be concerned about the transition from a hot, dry climate to Cleveland. We aren't quite as humid as FL and I have an inside grow area that would house them for the winter. Mostly, though, it was a matter of curiosity. I was not prepared to do any collecting - just saw them while hiking. Asked around for the names (hence the common vs. botanical name) and figured, since they appeared to have some good potential, I'd check on the list. Now, if I ever get back out that way and actually have an opportunity to collect - I'll be a little better prepared.

Thanks,

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

I don't find a "desert willow" in any of my western tree books, but there
are 20 gazillion willows and all of them cross pollinate,

That is why botanical names are so important. Desert willow, Chilopsis
linearis, has nothing whatever to do with willows. It belongs to the
Bignoniaceae. It is an attractive & interesting tree, and as I suggested
earlier, it can be used for bonsai. The main difficulty lies in finding a
suitable place to keep it during the winter.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)