Old 24-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Frank Logullo

"dps" wrote in message
S. M. Henning wrote:
"Frank Logullo" wrote:

A Hav-a-hart trap is a nice thing to own. I've captured and released
numerous woodchucks, squirrels, possums and raccoons from mine.

Don't forget the skunks that love these traps. The unfortunate thing is
that you usually have to destroy the skunk when you weren't really after
it in the first place. No matter how you handle it, it is a real

stinker.

I've caught several skunks in the traps. I generally just wait until
noon, walk quietly up to the trap and open it slowly, placing a brick
under the door so the skunk can see that it's open after I leave. None
of them even tried to spray. The skunk may not leave right away. There's
generally a brick handy because I place a brick on the door of the large
Hav-a-hart traps to (1) keep it from sticking open (since eventually the
trap gets old and bent up) and (2) knock the trapped animal more
forcefully into the trap. I've lost a couple of animals when I didn't
use the brick.

Skunks are nocturnal and don't do well in the daylight. If you're really
worried, you can hold a tarp in front of you when you walk up to the
trap. The skunk has to raise its tail to spray, and that's hard to do
inside the trap, so if you see the skunk getting agitated, just back off
and wait for it to settle down. The skunk will generally indicate
annoyance by pounding the ground with its front feet. If you use the
tarp, you can cover the trap while you open the door. That way the only
thing exposed is your hand.

Tomato juice is not very effective at eliminating skunk smell, although
it will reduce it. There are a couple of remedies based on hydrogen
peroxide. One is 1 qt peroxide (3%, the kind you find in the grocery
store), 1/4 cup baking soda (not baking powder) and a shot of detergent.
Don't get it in your eyes. Use mixture right away. It doesn't keep.

Excellent advice. This happened to me with my first home made trap. I did
not want to spring the $40 or so for a Hav-a-hart and it was more difficult
to let the skunk out. My wife suited up with rain gear while I was at work
calling around and removed door and ran. Skunk remained in trap for a while
and left later. I understand now that skunks do not spray when confined but
I would not take chance of transporting when in trap.
Frank