Old 24-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Phil L

Mcploppy © wrote:
:: Phil L typed:
::: Mcploppy © wrote:
::::: Hi All,
:::::
::::: For the past few years I hve been having a lot of bother with
::::: ants under my patio, the result is now my slabs are becoming
::::: uneven as the little "things" are erroding the base away.
:::::
::::: I intend to lift the slabs and relay the entire patio... but
::::: first would like to find out how to totally erradicate the
::::: little "things".
:::::
::::: Over the years I have used many different powders and sprays...
::::: still the little "things" keep coming back.
:::::
::::: Suggestions ????
:::::
::::: TIA
:::
::: When you come to relay the flags, rake the sand base level and
::: sprinkle in a few shovel fulls of cement,[1] you don't need to mix
::: water with it, there's enough in the sand.
::: Rake it in to mix it up a bit and lay the flags directly onto the
::: bed, do'nt use 'blobs' of sand/cement as this just leaves voids
::: underneth each flag, moreover, this blobbing is no good IMV (I lay
::: drives for a living) as the rain will simply wash the sand from
::: underneath the solid blobs leaving each flag rocking...simply lay
::: them on a dry sand/cement mix and the overall effect will be a
::: semi-solid bed with flags on top.
::: You will still get colonies of ants taking up residence but they
::: will be much smaller nests and will be unable to make much of a
::: dent on the foundation.
:::
:::
::: HTH
:::
::: [1]
::: one bag of cement should cover about 8sq metres, mixed into a 50mm
::: bed of sand(don't worry about it not being mixed evenly - as long
::: as the top inch has /some/ cement in it, then it will set quite
::: hard)
::
:: Excellent..... fancy a job :-s
::
:: The thought of lifting the slabs does not fill me with
:: excitement.... but it has to be done.
::
You're better off getting all the slabs lifted and cleaned in one go, they
should't be to heavy if they are less than about 15 years old, newer patio
flags are quite thin, prior to this normal paving slabs were used, usually
about 50mm thick, if these are what you are working with, then you will
definately need someone to help you.

Just set yourself a reasonable target each day, lay about ten slabs in each
session, you'll be surprised how quick it gets done...out of interest, how
big is the total area?...how big are the flags?