Old 24-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Iris Cohen

Chaparral and maqui are something different from pygmy or elfin forests or
krummholz. (In California, what people think of as chaparral is formally
"coastal sage scrub".) It supports oaks and other trees of considerable size.
But the flora characteristic of these regions consists mainly of species that
do not naturally have the habit of trees, not of tree species dwarfed by
environmental conditions.

Thanks for the clarification. Exactly what is krummholz & where would I find
one?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."