Old 24-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Tony Bull" wrote in message
om...
"Franz Heymann" wrote in

message
"Tony Bull" wrote in message
m...
Broadback wrote in message

Having just spent a boring 50 minutes with a paring knife

and
quart of
tears I wonder if anyone has any tips for preparing

pickling
onions.
3lbs done and 3 to do. :-(

Peel them outside on a nice day. Wear marigolds to stop your

hands
smelling. Leave twenty four hours in salt. The salt removes

water
from
the onions by osmosis. Wash off salt. The vinegar adds water

by
osmosis. Result firm crunchy pickled onions.

It is unlikely that the direction of the osmotic flow in the

case
of
the vinegar is opposite to that in the case of the salt. In

both
cases the excess concentration of solute is on the outside of

the
onion.

As a matter of fact, if water removal is all that is achieved

in
the
salt stage, you might as well omit it, since the vinegar will

also
remove water from the inside of the onion.

Franz

I disagree.
Salt crystals are far more concentrated than the solutions in

the
cells of the onion.

Yes. I don't dispute that.

The same does for the vinegar.

Removal of water concentrates these salts to a level higher than

that
of the acetic acid solution in the vinegar

This is what I doubt. The acetic acid is much more highly
concentrated than the stuff inside the onion.
If the salt had removed the amount of water you would have to

remove
in order to make the solution inside the onion more concentrated

than
the acetic acid you subsequently intend to use, the onion would

have
to have been shrivelled to less than half the volume normally

occupied
by a turgid onion.

so the vinegar adds water
to the cells thereby producing crunchy onions.
If you like soggy onions follow Franz's methods

I have pickled hundreds of bottles of nice crunchy onions and

shallots
which have not been subjected to the salt treatment

Franz

Likewise although my experience has been mainly with shallots.
Certainly when I wash the salt off the onions or shallots,they are
quite flaccid in the surface layer, indicating water loss. After a
minimum of two weeks in vinegar ( I can't wait any longer ) they are
quite turgid, indicating water replacement. Maybe a biochemist could
enlighten us both. Anyway Franz I am glad you are successful with
them. I never eat commercially prepared pickled onions as they are

so
awful compared with my own.

That, at least, is something on which we agree.

Franz