Old 24-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Brian Watson

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

Next year I will be using some carpet tiles for an area in the
garden. If you can wait, I'll report back here on how I get on.

You're not a betting man, by any chance? If you're in the British
Isles, five quid says they'll be so green and slimy (or maybe black
and slimy; or maybe both) inside a year that you'll want to throw
them away. Not sure how long they'll resist sunlight, or whether
they'll curl up, so no bet offered on those issues.

I'd take the bet but I think the result will probably fall somewhere between
"good idea, what a surprise" and the two outcomes you suggest, so judging
who's won would be impossible.

Carpet tiles themselves are pretty inert, which is why they work pretty well
in kitchens, though I realise they may make an ideal breeding medium for all
sorts of first-footers from the primordial soup if allowed to lie damp for
any extended period.

Just figure it is worth a try with nothing lost, apart from a few quid, if
it does turn out to be a disaster.

I have it in mind to lay them on top of a tannalised wood framework which
has been topped off with a metal mesh so as to get water away as quickly as
possible.

Whether that will be enough remains to be seen, as does how they and their
adhesive stand up to sunlight, as you say.
--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"