Old 25-09-2004, 12:22 AM
zookeeper

"Nedra" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm having the pond netted this coming week... anticipating leaf fall

about
3 weeks early this year

Will have to drag leaf screens out this weekend. Maple leaves started to
fall a week ago after a week of late fall / early winter type weather with
almost freezing nighttime temps and lots of rain. Some of the leaf fall
might be from earlier heat though -- we went from dry high 80s / low 90s to
mid 60s in just a few days.

Still have muck in pond from spring time, so will be doing a little shop
vaccing soon too. Cut back the reeds and cattails, cut back the pickeral and
sink it, trim off all the suddenly yellow lily pads, and the last lily
blossom from yesterday. Today discovered a water hyacinth that I'd forgotten
about -- scooped it out of pond last week when it washed out of its
retaining loop so pond piggies wouldn't destroy it and put it in a separate
water garden with other pond plants waiting to be repotted. It has now
completely rooted itself into a pot with an iris!! Just might try to
overwinter it inside that way as I don't see how I can "unroot" it now.
--
zookeeper
Oregon, USDA Zone 7