Old 25-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Staycalm

Default Silver birches

I've been offered three free silver birch saplings (not sure how big) that
will be dug out of someone elses yard as they don't want them anymore. Can I
get away with transplanting them now or is it already too late? What would I
need to do to prepare, plant and then help them survive if I accepted them?

I have in mind a south facing area of the garden in our front yard, clay
type soil, in an area where a magnolia was a victim of the drought, and no
overhead wires. Could I plant the three trees close together? How far apart
would be optimum? How much space would I look at needing for these trees to
grow? The yard isn't huge so I don't think I'd want something that was too
bushy. I would like to put a pebble path around them, some long garden beds
on the other side of the path, with a garden seat under them to catch the
shade in the summer.

Liz