Old 20-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Jim Lewis

On 19 Sep 2004 at 21:28, Dong Gumong wrote:

Hi folks,

We recently received a grape bonsai from 1-800-FLOWERS, I know this
probably isn't a 'true' bonsai - it doesn't have any fruit, but it is
visually pleasing.

It was doing quite well for a while, but we went away for about 4-5
days and came back to discover a little 'fuzz' on some of the leaves.
Kind of looked like peach fuzz, or dust even. Should we be concerned?
It still seemed to be ok for a while, until recently some of the leaf
tips are getting brown and a few are falling off. I'm assuming this
is normal though, since the weather has been getting colder here in
Seattle.

Any help/advice on what to do would be appreciated!

Thanks,

The brown leaves and leaves falling probably are just normal
things in the Seattle area this time of year. I dunno about the
"fuzz." Can you describe it a bit more? Color. Upper part of
leaves or lower? All over? Does it rub off -- then come back?

A few words about grape bonsai:

1. They should be outdoors. I believe grapes do OK in the
seattle area, but some protection (out of the wind, south side
of house, etc.) is advisable in winter. Indoors is NOT good for
grapes.

2. They need regular pruning to get away from a vining habit.
Pruning should start in late winter (cutting it back to the bare
outline) then continue to shape all during the growing season.

3. Don't expect fruit for a few years.

4. They like acid soil, so any normal houseplant fertilizer --
weekly during the growing season -- should be OK. No need to
fertilize in winter when they're leafless.

5. They do NOT like wet feet, so need a soil that drains well.
When you water -- from the top, NOT by submerging it in a bucket
-- water should start running out the drainage hole almost
immediately. Water ONLY when the soil feels dry, not by any
kind of schedule. As Billy said, if there were rocks glued on
to the soil surface, remove them. Fill that space with a GOOD
potting soil (not that powdery black stuff you get at Wal-Mart
and other places of that ilk).

6. Grape leaves tend to be a bit large, so complete removal of
the leaves in early mid summer helps give the leaves a bit more
perspective in relation to the size of the plant (leave the
petioles [leaf stems] on the plant; they'll fall off as new
leaves appear). Fertilize just before you do this.

Enjoy.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++