Old 25-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Amy Lou

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I've been offered three free silver birch saplings (not sure how big) that
will be dug out of someone elses yard as they don't want them anymore. Can

get away with transplanting them now or is it already too late? What would

need to do to prepare, plant and then help them survive if I accepted

them?

Lucky you! If they are not too big I think they will be easy to transplant
(though according to my book they should be transplanted in autumn). I have
one in my yard (I grew it from seed). They are beautiful trees. Mine doesn't
need any particular attention and its in clay-loam. The roots tend to be
very close to the surface though so its difficult to dig around it for
planting annuals. I've seen silver birches planted close together and they
look lovely.

Amy