Old 25-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Ray

I see a couple of possibilities:

1) It was not an orchid
2) The image was doctored

....for the following reasons:

1) As far as I know, there are no orchids native to that part of the world
that have flowers anywhere nearly that large. As a matter of fact, it's
pretty rare to find any species orchid blossom that large.
2) There are no jet black orchids, species or hybrids. Very dark purple,
maybe. The black orchid is a long-standing myth of film and fable, and I am
convinced that if one had been developed, we would have all heard about it.

..
"John Carruthers" wrote in message
A local horticultural society member showed us some slides from his trip to
Madeira. There was a jet black orchid, about 8" across, single bloom but he
had no idea what it was. Does anyone know if they are available ?
john c

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

---