Old 25-09-2004, 04:07 PM
escapee

The wire room would work. However, dwarf trees should be giving you regular
sized fruit. The fruit is not dwarf, also. Anyway, the structure you are
thinking of is really cheap and easy to build. My tree is about 12 feet tall,
so not really all that beneficial for me to use such a method. I am going to
plant another in the front yard this year to allow neighbors who love my
peaches to come and harvest their own.

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 23:31:29 -0400, Sterling opined:

Or maybe you just don't have so many squirrels. I have two dwarf peach
trees that are covered with tiny peaches every year - more yield would
put the branches on the ground! - and as they grow, my squirrels grab
them. They take one bite and throw them down, grab another, etc.

I did not get one ripe peach this year. I tried the bird netting but the
slimy little b**tards chew through and shinny up to grab another unripe
peach.

These are fat sleek squirrels - no starving guys here.

I saw plans for a "wire house" where you basically build a box of 1 x 2s
and hardware cloth - with a door! - to be able to protect the harvest
from the squirrels. Maybe I'll try that next year.

escapee wrote:

I have a peach tree. I harvested at least 10 bushels of peaches this year, and
that did not count the peaches with one bite out of it from the squirrels. If
you pear tree is producing so few fruits that a squirrel can compete with you,
maybe it's an idea to find out how to increase yields. There is no
compassionate way to keep wildlife out of the wild.