Old 25-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:44:50 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

(Laura) wrote:

The vines are still thriving - any ideas on how to get rid of them,
short of digging out each root? It's difficult to get to all of it,
and there is quite a bit of it around my yard.

And what's so hard about digging it up?

Hah! Have you ever had an infestation of Vinca? Yes, if there were
half-a-dozen plants, it would be easy. When there are 100/sq. yd.,
it's a different kettle of fish altogether. They may be *shallowly*
rooted, but they are *firmly* rooted, and just pulling often snaps the
stems, leaving root nodes to re-grow.

For Laura -- I've never found anything but pulling (and pulling and
pulling) to get rid of Vinca. Don't bother with RoundUp (glysophate),
either, except on tiny, tender emerging shoots. If you can mow the
area, that will discourage it somewhat, and you may at least be able
to see where to dig further. Good luck.