Old 26-09-2004, 03:26 AM
ameijers

"Tony" wrote in message
"JerryMouse" wrote in message
Tony wrote:

The biggest problem I face is figuring out the best way to handle the
removal of two root balls from trees uprooted by the storm. The
smaller root ball sits above the ground and is about 4' in diameter.

The
larger root ball is about 6' in diameter. I have already cut up
the trunk portion of both trees.

Is there some reason you can't blast 'em out?

Dynamite is easy to use. The guys who sell it can give you pointers.

Well, considering that one of the stumps is about 3' from my house, I'm a
bit tentative about using such extreme measures.

Ignore Jerry, he thinks he is witty.

I take it you don't live in the kind of neighborhood where you can just drag
the rootballs to a disused corner of the lot, and leave them as habitat for
small creatures? All sorts of things would be very happy living in the nooks
and crannies. Failing that, simplest solution is to just clean out and
deepen the holes they came out of, and bury them. If planting replacement
trees makes that not an option, you are either facing a whole lot of manual
labor with shovel and ax and maul and wedges, or a decent sized check to
somebody with the equipment to get them out of there w/o trashing your lawn
and sprinklers and such. Dirty wood like that will kill a chainsaw quick,
and possibly you, too, from kickback when it jams. People who clear trees
for a living, when they can get away with it, dozer the root balls and other
chaff into bigass piles, soak with #2, and burn them. Unless you can leave
them sit till weather washes dirt off, chipper guy won't even want to touch
them- those dirt clods really cut blade life.

aem sends....