Old 25-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Charles Perry

Karen wrote:

)... How can we secure the
roses for winter? ...

Well, if the roses are a variety that don't require winter
protection in your area, I have had good luck using plastic cable
ties to secure the main canes to the arbor. Although the best
time to prune roses is early spring, I do some trimming on large
plants after they are dormant in the fall to prevent excessive
wind whiplash over winter. I mainly trim the long laterals and
shorten some canes that can't be secured to the arbor and would
be cut off in the spring anyway. If your climbers require winter
protection, your best bet is to find somebody local who has been
sucessful and do what they do.

Regards,

Charles

--