Old 25-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote My big fear now is when I get in there to do some fall prep
for winter, is momma at the bottom waiting for me? I mean how did this
little 2 inch turtle find it's way to my pond?

Theory has it that newly hatched turtles find their way to water by following
the moon, which is kind of romantic, suburban turtles though usually follow
street lights. Another theory is they track on the scent of water, which makes
more sense but I like the moon theory better.
If Momma Snapper is at the bottom of your pond she'll have eaten junior so you
won't have to worry about him anymore...
If he is still around he will want to winter over in the pond.
One factoid I learned while researching snappers is not to pick them up by
their tail (though that seems safest for your fingers) supposedly it could
damage their spinal cord. Best way for big mean snappers is to get them on the
end of a snow shovel and help them into a plastic garbage can with a locking
lid for short trips to nearby natural waterways. For baby snapper you could use
a diaper pail and a sand shovel.

kathy who misses the diaper days when her 3 teenagers come in at 11:10pm.
12:09am and 2:14am...