Old 21-09-2004, 12:46 AM
~ Windsong ~

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
When is the best time to shut down pond?
And how?
I have 5000gallons with waterfall, 9 Koi, water lettuce,water

hyacinth,lily
pads,parrots feather,water lily,
Thanks
Kathy...in Maryland

=======================
I remove all the tropicals such as water lettuce after the first frost in
the fall. That comes about the middle of October where I live. They go
into the compost pile. As the water temp reaches 50 to 55 I shut off the
extra water pumps that help aerate the water, and the filters themselves
when then the water reaches around 50 or I see the fish are less active and
hanging around the bottom more. Hardy plants like parrot's feather, Lotus
and cat tails can remain in the pond over the winter. I leave them right on
the shelves where they sit.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"They laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the same."