Old 26-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Curiosity wrote:

I have and L shaped rear/side garden, each leg 10M wide. The prevaling
winds create a wind tunnel effect around the edge of our Bungalow
where the side garden meets the rear garden. My small conifers are now
starting the grow at an angle :-{

It depends a lot on the soil and how wet you are. There are a lot
of medium-sized willows for wet, buddleja needs good drainage, and
things like hazel are intermediate. Willows and buddleja will
break in strong winds, but it isn't a big deal - stick the broken
ends in the soil and see if they root :-)

The fastest and perhaps most reliable method is a 'fedge', planted
with clematis, honeysuckle etc. in dry conditions or hops in wet.
NOT Jackmanii hybrids, or armandii, if clematis, but the tougher
species and varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.