Old 26-09-2004, 12:12 PM
madgardener

Humankind has not woven the web of life.
We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
All things are bound together.
All things connect." Chief Seattle
"laura" wrote in message
om...
I have been cutting my tall phlox back to the ground every year,
usually in the fall to avoid the mess left by the dead stalks in the
spring. They seem to be okay with this treatment and come back every
year, but I wonder if this process is advisable or necessary.

I cut mine back in April, so that they're not six foot tall. When I leave
the stalks on, the pollinated flowers sow seeds of a volunteer for me. And
the spent stalks and seeds provide food for the finches and other little
birds.

Also,
I've recently learned that they should be fed regularly.Does anyone
have suggestions for year-end care?

Feed with a time release like Osmocote in the late winter,early spring or
top dress with finished compost.
madgardener