Old 26-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

As a climbers fan I would certainly favour the above but you could also
consider,
Salix caprea (deciduous) if site is damp, or Olearia albida, Olearea
traversii, Olearia macrodonta (which are evergreens) if its dryish, If you
want good flowers as well and are not too cold try Hoheria sexstylosa. and
also surprisingly good in exposure on acid soils are the camellias.
These things really will grow on the tops of exposed cliffs and moors, but
be warned, none come equipped with off switches!

Generally, evergreens make bad windbreaks. You don't want to block
the wind, but slow it down. However, I think that the Olearias are
fairly 'thin' evergreens and would do, but I wouldn't use a Camellia.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.