Old 26-09-2004, 11:36 PM
John Savage

"andr0meda" wrote:
On the Gold Coast, we are urged to save water.
What do you think about using dirty dishwater (including some detergent) to
water plants?

I see no problems at all, provided you observe a few simple precautions.
I'd avoid using it on root crops and leaf crops, not only because the
"soap" may taint the crop, but meat particles in the water and bacterial
decay may cause trouble. Also, wipe dirty plates and frying pans, etc.,
very thoroughly with paper towel to sop up all the fat and grease that
you possibly can. Not only does this minimize the grease you put around
your plants, but it allows you to minimize the amount of detergent that
you use in doing the dishwashing. (If this encourages the cook to adopt
a theme of less fat in the cooking, then it will benefit your health,
too!) There should be no problems in using greywater on grass, trees,
shrubs and flowers, and around vines and crops such as corn, watermelons,
etc., maybe even climbing beans and the like. Alternate between watering
with clean water and greywater whenever possible, or dilute your dirty
water if you must rely on it in the long term.

My friend reckons, detergent chases worms way.

Maybe it does, maybe not. But I do know that nothing chases worms away
like a parched and powdery garden soil. In drought conditions, you have
nothing to lose. Just choose your dishwashing detergent carefully and
you will have no problems.