Old 26-09-2004, 11:40 PM
John Savage

HC writes:
I'd like to strike a cutting from a dark pink or even a red Frangipani,
any tips to successfully striking same? I'm on the MidNorthCoast NSW so
would a red Frangi grow in this area or do they only like tropical

One point: IMO the coloured flowers don't have a fragrance anything as
heavenly as that of the ordinary yellow and white variety, though YMMV.
All colours grow well in coastal Sydney, and this is not in the tropics.
If your location is marginal, try and find a spot where the tree will
receive morning sun and a north-eastern outlook sheltered alongside the
house or a brick wall, i.e., a tropical microclimate.

I have seen a black frangipani, too. I thought the flowers were all dead
at first glance. It was more a novelty than a feature.

Plant the cuttings in sandy loam, and don't water very often or they may
rot. Be patient. Just forget about them for 12 months after you put them
in the ground.