Old 27-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Pam - gardengal

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , "Guyz-N-Flyz"
wrote:

You say, however, "I think" it was black walnut -- if no one's sure there
were walnut leaves involved, there could be some other problem. I mulch
with fallen leaves of chokecherry & sweet cherry & plum trees which all
have juglone & this does't bother the plants at all, not even the azaleas
which can be juglone-sensitive, but of course the concentrations are a
fraction that of walnut, & I don't use these leaves for anything as
senstive as tomatoes.

This is pretty interesting............I was not aware that juglone was
present in any plant outside of the Juglandaceae and not even present in
very high concentrations of most members of this family outside of the
Juglans genus itself. Since I can find no references which address this
phenomenon in any Prunus species, I'd be interested in being directed to a
source or link which discussed this.

pam - gardengal