Old 27-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
news:6AJ5d.266224$mD.96644@attbi_s02...
This is pretty interesting............I was not aware that juglone was
present in any plant outside of the Juglandaceae and not even present in
very high concentrations of most members of this family outside of the
Juglans genus itself. Since I can find no references which address this
phenomenon in any Prunus species, I'd be interested in being directed to a
source or link which discussed this.

pam - gardengal

Here's a little something: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

However, if you do a Google search you will find more than you ever wanted to know.

The reason that black walnut and juglone came to my mine was because of an article I
once read about black walnut shavin's and horses and cattle. From there I learn that
not only were the shavings poisonous to stock animals, but that thee reason my
tomatoes were doing so poorly was the 50' black walnut tree on the end of my veggie
garden. I'm told by mountain folk that walnuts were placed in burlap bags and placed
in streams to catch trout--many years ago. The toxin apparently paralyzes the
respiratory system of the fish and they float to the surface?

Mark