Old 27-09-2004, 02:38 AM
S. M. Henning

(paghat) wrote:

"Guyz-N-Flyz" wrote:

I think my uncle received a load of black walnut leaf mulch; consequently,
his asparagus, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, tomatoes and other veggies are
dying.
Is there anything that will neutralize the affects of juglone toxicity,
once he removes the offending leaf mulch?

Composting breaks down the juglone, so if you mix the leaves with soil &
keep it moist & add some nitrogen to speed up the process it will take
care of itself at the speed of composting, even without entirely removing
the leaves.

All species of the walnut family produce juglone. Black walnuts have
the highest concentrations. Relatively small amounts are found in
butternut, hickory, and pecan. Most toxicity problems are caused by the
black walnut. paghat's recommendation is right on.

In the meantime you can plant such veggies as: corn, beans, onions,
beets, and carrots.

Avoid: asparagus, cabbage, rhubarb, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and
eggplants.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman