Old 26-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Iris Cohen

The problem is that everyone plants them in full sun in the front yard, and
then hits them with the lawnmower. They do fine for years, until a cold winter
or a hot summer stresses them, and then they drop branches. The best
solution is frequent fertilization and good watering in hot summer months with
a soaker hose.

The Atropurpureum type Japanese maples do quite well here in Central NY. I have
seen one as tall as the house it is planted in front of. Mine is at the
southwest corner of the foundation planting, but it is lightly shaded by a pine
tree in the neighbor's yard. Without being fed, it needs severe pruning every
other year. We have relatively cool summers, with an average of 4 days over 90.
As long as it is a variety that is hardy to Zone 5, our winters don't bother
them.
I have a 'Butterfly' on its own roots in the northeast corner. It survived last
winter with only a little dieback.
My bonsai maples do pretty well. They are in not quite full sun, fertilized
plenty, and given Pro-TeKt occasionally.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)