Old 27-09-2004, 03:14 AM
Phisherman

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:21:07 -0400, "Jenny"
wrote:

I got my soil tested by some local Master Gardeners and they told me how
many pounds per 100 sq feet the lawn needs to correct the pH.

But I'm mystified as to what to do next.

A couple questions:

1. What is the difference between pelletized lime and the cheaper stuff?

Pelletized lime is distributed as pellets. Agricultural lime produces
large white clouds and is very messy. If it contains traces of
magnesium all the better.

2. Do I use my Scott's rotary spreader to apply the lime, and if so, how do
I figure out the setting needed?

Yes. Read the suggestions on the package. I have a Scotts rotary
spreader and set it to "9" for pelletized lime. You can always go
back again until it is gone.

3. My lawn needs a huge amount of lime. I assume I do a bit each year, not
all at once. Is this so?

For a half acre apply 800 pounds. Do another pH test in 6 months and
reapply lime if needed. Lime works slowly. Purchase a pH test
kit--they are inexpensive.

4. I've planted new grass and overseeded this month. When is it safe to
apply the lime?

You can apply lime at any time without harm to the grass.

Zone 5 here, with a 1 year old lawn for a new house.
-- Jenny