Old 27-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Frogleg

Default Juniper or Yew Berries - What Do They Need to Germinate?

On 26 Sep 2004 15:23:36 GMT, Ol' Duffer wrote:

I would like to propagate some of the evergreen bushes
around my house for replacement purposes. They have
a bunch of little red berries on them, which obviously
are the normal "seed" but I haven't had any luck getting
new plants from berries.

I tried planting some last year in a peat/soil mix,
and didn't get a single sprout. What do they want to
germinate? Digested by a bird? Burnt by a forest fire?
More to the point, what can I do to make them grow?

Or should I try cuttings? Someone loan me a clue?

A brief Google shows that juiper seed germination is very poor. Here's
something about cuttings that looks good at first glance.

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...2/pnw0152.html

Hint: when looking for "how to grow" something, good results can
usually be had by trying

plantname germination
plantname cultivation
plantname reproduction