Old 27-09-2004, 01:18 PM
GARLAND HANSON

One one the newer offerings that is extremely fragrant i.e.
run-you-out-of-the-house-eventually is Cycd. Wine Delight 'JEM' FCC/AOS
(Cyc. lehmanni x Morm. sinuata). The scent reminds you of sweet cherry
cough drops. This particular plant has been cloned extensively and can be
had on the market in spike (now!) for $25-$35.

In addition to the scent, it is a beautiful plant with thick, waxy red
flowers.

Of the cattleya species, the hands-down winner of the scent contest is C.
iricolor. The flowers aren't as showy as some of the others but once you
get a wiff of it you'll NEVER forget it. It isn't a common offering but it
can be had. I saw a large plant in bloom at a show a few years ago and
never forgot it!

Garland

"GrlIntrpted" wrote in message
news
Epidendrum stamfordianum

Mariana

"H Playel" wrote in message
Well, many love Oncidium Sharry Baby. It is obvious that certain

Cattleyas
have a floral scent. Maxillaria tenuifolia smells like coconut.

Brassavola
nodosa is the Queen of the Night and Oncidium ornitorhynchum have a
vanilla-soap fragrance.

But there are so many others!

I am looking for tips of other flowering orchids. I know there are

websites
with lists, but I want personal recollection and recommendation here!

I am especially looking for orchids that smell spicy, preferably like
cloves.
Of course it varies between persons and between clones, but as I said,

I'm
curious what you think.

Personally I recommend Dendrobium hancockii (strong scent of honey).

That's
my favourite fragrant orchid, I think.
Stanhopea hernandezii smells like hartz (if that is even an english

word),
which I like.

What are your favourites?