Old 27-09-2004, 05:49 PM

On 2004-09-26, Anne Lurie wrote:
I have just one caveat -- if you are planning to use the rain barrels to
water vegetables or other food crops, I encourage you to get "food grade"
barrels.

My only experience with such barrels was an attempt to make a
tumbler-composter -- getting food-grade barrels was actually the simple
part! (The instructions & parts list seemed too challenging, so I just
bought a compost-tumbler on sale for $99.)

If you just plan to use them to water the garden, just filling them with
soapy water and leaving them sit in the sun for a few days will get most
residue out. Years ago I got 2.5 gallon herbicide jugs from my brother
and did that. I used them them to irrigate tomatoes with no problem.

I don't think I would buy any barrel where I did not know what was in it
previously though.

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Robert Gray" wrote in message
om...
There is a fellow who gets them from work and then sells them pretty
cheaply. Here is one of his posts from google groups:
-------------
Hard plastic 50 gallon drums (just like the steel ones). Used, but clean.

$10.00 ea. --- Compare at "Grainger" for 456.00 ea

Jeff (Fuquay)
567-2048
Pluker4 )
--------------
Good luck,
Robert

"KSFeeman" wrote in message

Does anyone know where to get 50 to 55 gallon drums for relatively cheap
or free? I want to make my own rain barrels and have heard that there
are places that use them, and need to get rid of them. Any
suggestions?

Also, I am planning on landscaping my yard, but have no idea where to
begin, as I am not a professional. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I live in Raleigh.

Thanks!

Kevin

--