Old 27-09-2004, 08:09 PM
AberTech

Default Plants for low-maintenance garden?

Hi Group,

My terraced house has a garden which faces West and is on quite a steep
slope. It was badly neglected and overgrown by the previous owner.

I myself have little time/interest in gardening and consider about 1 hour a
week to be my limit. I have two areas in terraces and have put a sheet
material on those, overlaid with stone chippings as a start.

On the sloping bits atm is just grass and weeds, which grew like buggery in
the summer. My neighbour tells me the soil here is 'great for growing
things'.

I am looking for suggestions for suitable plants to cover these areas. My
mothers garden had snow-on-the-mountain (not sure if thats its proper name)
on it and I remember that being tough, low-lying and only requiring chopping
back now and again. I intend to use some of that and am thinking about
making use of a considerable amount of heather as that also seems to meet
the requirements and seems to grow well on the hills around here.

What do you think and can you give me some suggestions on what else I could
use?

Many TIA.