Old 24-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Iris Cohen

I was wondering if someone can recommend an indoor bonsai tree that could
be placed in a bathroom - I shower everyday, so there's steam every morning,
and there is a small meshed window, that faces south.
So there's not much sunlight, and I might have to put in some artificial

lighting. Ideally, it should have some red leaves/fruit -

So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question, and everyone makes fun of
him.
There are tropical bonsai you can use. However, I suggest you get several trees
and rotate them between the bathroom and a growing area, so they will be kept
healthy. A flowering and fruiting bonsai will need more light, as you have
surmised. They will need to be kept outdoors all summer, but you can rotate
them in your bathroom, say a week at a time.
First thing you need to do is get one or more books. Start with something like
the Sunset Bonsai book. If there is a bonsai club anywhere near you, join it.
Suggested species:
Pomegranate (persimmon-red flowers & fruit).
Serissa (white flowers)
Ficus (probably no fruit, but the easiest)

However, if you just want a finished bonsai and you are not interested in
growing or caring for it, you can rent them.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)