Old 24-09-2004, 04:00 AM
Ka30P

bk wrote I live in South Florida and we get large blue crabs at this time of
year.
I know I have some in the yard right now. I saw one on the bottom of a pool
last week.

Maybe he knows something about Hurricane Jeanne that Florida should pay
attention to...
Blue crabs eat a variety of foods, including fishes, oysters, clams, snails,

shrimp, worms and other crabs. At high tide, crabs may swim into the salt marsh
to pluck snails from the tall grass. At times, they burrow into the bottom with
only their eye stalks visible, lying in wait for an unsuspecting fish.
(This makes for an interesting mental picture!) ---- Crabs are opportunistic
feeders, meaning they will eat what is most available regardless of their size,
the season or the area they inhabit.

Hmmmm. I think if I found one of these fellows in my pond he'd be evicted!
But that said, this is the first time I've seen any worries posted about blue
crabs. Let us know your experience with them, if they enter the pond, how easy
(I hope) they were to catch, if you saw them menacing the fish in any way.

kathy :-)
algae primer