Old 24-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Cheryl

I first spotted a newt in our water feature. It was a tiny tub with a small
fountain that we decided to get rid of as i havent liked it since we moved
in and it was always green and smelly!
When we started clearing out the water I found the newt but was sure that
the markings were different. I was right as we kept uncovering more and more
newts 7 in total!
2 were slightly smaller so im guessing they were the offspring.
Not sure what they ate, there was no fish or anything else in the water
feature. We had hundreds of tadpoles in the tub which slowly disappeared, so
maybe they have a taste for them?
Once we had cleared the tub I moved the newts to the pond. They immediately
disappeared to the bottom of the pond and werent seen a few days later but
not since. I have large kois so not sure if they have taken a liking to newt
or not!
However saying that we replaced the decking at the top of the garden a few
months ago and when ripping it we spotted a couple of newts,scaring the life
out of my partner!

Not alot of help im sorry!

Cheryl

"Ka30P" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote I live in England and this year we had a total of 7 newts
in the
pond!

Can you tell me a bit about them, what you observed, did they breed, did
you
notice what they ate, etc.
thanks!
kathy :-)