Old 28-09-2004, 12:14 PM
Philip

novocastria wrote in message . ..
I live in the Fens which is VERY windy at times due to the lack of trees
and being VERY flat! I have a north facing garden that is like a desert
(it's clay!) in the summer and a soggy wind tunnel in the winter
months. I have a small Acer that is now looking like it was put in an
incinerator this summer, nowhere was safe for it!
So... I need some ideas for trees and shrubs for my garden. Please
help!

Thanks :-D

Are you interested in dealing with the wind problem? Jokes aside, I
see that as the type of problem you need to deal with first.

The poster who sugested Leylandii, I suspect did it with his/her
tongue in cheek. However, they hit the nail on the head with regards
to finding your solution.

Leylandii will grow quite quickly and provide a pretty good wind
barrier. Now I am not suggesting that Leylandii is the solution, in
fact I would caution against using it. My approach would be to select
the side of your garden where the prevailing wind somes from (west or
south west, at a guess). Along that side I would go for a mixed shrub
hedge.

Garrya, Pyracantha, Viburnum opulus, Alnus cordata, Cotoneaster
lacteus, Rhododendron, Taxus baccata are some ideas for your hedge.

In a few years you will have created a more sheltered garden, and then
you can start inserting the plants you want to grow.

Hope that gives you some ideas