Old 28-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Kenni Judd

Pot while the new leaf is growing. #1 time to pot is when new roots are
just starting to form, #2 is when new growth is starting.

You're the one on the scene, so maybe it really is potting soil, but I
suspect it might be something called Pro-Mix, which is a soil-free peat mix.
Some folks do OK with that, but I never could. I prefer coco chips, or
high-quality sphagnum cut with either charcoal or bark.

Good growing,
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"michelle dedic" wrote in message
om...
Hi. As I've told members of the NG, I have a Phal. (aphrodite?) that is
in potting soil, with a little bark (for show) on top. After I backed off
the watering, the blooms stopped falling off and everything is kosher.
This baby has ~6"blooms that have lasted for almost 3 months and are still
looking good. It is now putting out a new leaf. I had planned to repot
once flowering was done, but am now confronted with a few questions?

1. If it aint broke, don't fix it? Plant is obviously doing well, roots
look good as long as I water heavily every other week and do so
thoroughly.
2. Pot after the leaf is established (do I correctly suspect it takes a
while?)?
3. Cut the spike back to get it to reflower, if possible? Will this take
away from the new growth (It only has three leaves since one was
sacrificed for ELISA)?

I'm leaning to #1 but am open to suggestions.

Thanks
MD

Michelle Dedic
Lab asst.