Old 24-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 9/23/2004 11:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, STEVEW70146
writes:
I also noticed that some landscape Palmatumson Long Island with severe die
back. For some reason leaves on certain branches were turning brown and dying.
Branches next to dying branches appeared not to be affected. I have seen
this repeatedly lately and I am concerned as to whether there is something
contagious going around.
Steve:

It "sounds" like a root zone problem, but it is hard to confirm this way. If
the pad is solid, pop it out of the pot and inspect the roots. If the roots
are black and lack white cores, you have a root rot problem. This can be
cured by cutting back on the dead root until white cores appear. Next soak the
pad in a Benomyl solution or comparable fungicide for 15 mintues. Repot the
tree in fresh soil and place it in an area for the winter where it will not
freeze.

I would like to know what you are using for a soil mix and how often you
water.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob