Old 29-09-2004, 02:44 AM
Iris Cohen

Thanks very much for the explanations.
This is one of the reasons some people advocate writing such cases (an old
name of a genus used as an epithet) with an initial capital, in this case
Punica Granatum.

I thought that some years ago they made a rule against it. Always having the
species name in lower case is less confusing. Now that I know it is not an
adjective, I wouldn't have any further trouble along that line.
I should have realized that Heptapleurum arboricola is an epiphyte from the
name, but it certainly doesn't look like one.

You will never convince me a ponderosa pine is masculine.

Chacon a son gout. I've seen full size ponderosa pines out West, and I've seen
them as bonsai. There is a magnificent one in our National Bonsai & Penjing
Museum, donated by the National Forest Service. I don't believe I've ever seen
a ponderosa bonsai grown by a woman. Definitely a guy thing.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)