Old 29-09-2004, 07:33 AM
millsy millsy is offline
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades
writes
The message

from millsy
contains these words:

I'm new to growing green things, so apologies if this is a silly
question! I'm sure it's a basic problem!

I've got an Ivy plant indoors that seems to be shrivelling, and I try
to give it a healthy amount of water - the light in there isn't too bad
as there's a big skylight...just wondering if anyone could give me a tip
as to where I'm going wrong, please?

.. I have other plants - they seem to be happy enough!

Thankyou loads in advance!!

Could be that you're overwatering it?

I had ivy growing up my south facing gable-end

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/hsefront.jpg

but it had groped further up and was sprouting through the space behind
the bargeboards, so I cut sections out of the main stems at the base in
the spring.

It was still alive (though not exactly thriving) when I stripped it off
the wall this morning.

It could also be that the air is too dry and too hot.

Could also be red spider - look for peppery dust (actually tiny
creatures) on the underside of new leaves, and very fine cobwebs at the
shoot tips. Red spider mite seems partial to ivy.
--
Kay
Thanks alot fot that, guys - really appreciate that!

It may well be that I overwatered it - although the leaves drying out led me to believe that I wasn't watering enough. I was giving it a drink once a week...recently I've had to but on the heating in the house, as the nights have been getting colder, just I wouldn't say it was that hot..but perhaps it's a tad dryer..maybe I'll move it nearer a window, but in a colder room.

Thanks again!