Old 29-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:09:19 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
| wrote:
|
| Alan--do you ever think about what happens to "commercial" potatoes plants
| before the crop is harvested.
|
| They are sprayed with very strong sulphuric acid - IIRC, 85%
|
| To remove the leaves before picking or what?
|
| Since there is a weak solution of sulphuric and hydrochloric acid
| falling out of the sky daily, does it really make any difference if
| the spuds are sprayed with 85% mix?

Well, it probably doesn't make much difference to the ecology,
but I very much doubt that they do use that. The local farmers
grow potatoes, I often see farm equipment being moved along the
roads, and I have never seen any equipment of a type that could
handle that. 85% sulphuric acid cuts through steel or flesh in
a very short space of time - not as fast as Aqua Regia, but fast.

Are you sure that it isn't some other acid? Even hydrochloric
is MUCH easier and safer to handle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.