Old 24-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Anil Kaushik

I fully agree with what Iris says. One can try a Ficus benjamina which
needs much less light and likes plenty of heat and humidity. In fact
bathroom is an ideal indoor place for a plant like this.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh.

I was wondering if someone can recommend an indoor bonsai tree that

could
be placed in a bathroom - I shower everyday, so there's steam every

morning,
and there is a small meshed window, that faces south.
So there's not much sunlight, and I might have to put in some

artificial
lighting. Ideally, it should have some red leaves/fruit -

So the poor guy asks a perfectly serious question, and everyone makes fun

of
him.
There are tropical bonsai you can use. However, I suggest you get several

trees
and rotate them between the bathroom and a growing area, so they will be

kept
healthy. A flowering and fruiting bonsai will need more light, as you have
surmised. They will need to be kept outdoors all summer, but you can

rotate
them in your bathroom, say a week at a time.
First thing you need to do is get one or more books. Start with something

like
the Sunset Bonsai book. If there is a bonsai club anywhere near you, join

it.
Suggested species:
Pomegranate (persimmon-red flowers & fruit).
Serissa (white flowers)
Ficus (probably no fruit, but the easiest)

However, if you just want a finished bonsai and you are not interested in
growing or caring for it, you can rent them.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++