Old 29-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Kay

In article , millsy millsy.1dc4n
writes

It may well be that I overwatered it - although the leaves drying out
led me to believe that I wasn't watering enough.

It's worth remembering that leaves drying out probably means that the
leaves aren't getting enough water, but that there's more then one
reason why they might not be getting enough water. One reason is that
there isn't enough water in the soil, but another is that the roots are
damaged and therefore not able to take up the water, and root damage may
be rot because the soil is too wet, or pests damage like vine weevil
larvae. And of course snails eating the stem can equally stop water
getting to the leaves further up.

I was giving it a
drink once a week...

Ideally, you should water according to need - give it a good water (but
don't let it stand in water - one way is to stand the pot on a dish to
catch the water that naturally runs straight through dry soil, but to
tip the water out of the dish after the soil has had half an hour or so
to soak up some of the excess water) - then don't water it again till
the soil is dry. The main difference seems to be in *how* dry you can
let it get - ferns, for example, seem not to like getting much beyond
moist, whereas peace lilies will recover from complete leaf flop. Cacti
and fleshy leaved plants will cope with prolonged periods of complete
dryness.

recently I've had to but on the heating in the
house, as the nights have been getting colder, just I wouldn't say it
was that hot..but perhaps it's a tad dryer.

Some things don't like a dry atmosphere. Solutions are regular spraying
with fine mist of water (keep a sprayer nearby and spray at least
daily), or fill a tray with pebbles and water and stand the pot on that,
so evaporation of the water provides a moist atmosphere, but the pebbles
keep the pot out of the water and stop the soil getting too wet.

--
Kay