Old 25-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Andrew G

"Michael Persiano" wrote in message

It is not unusual for Elms to product leaves late in the season. However,
were both of these tree protected for the winter, i.e., placed under

cover, or
were they left outside to face the elements. Frequent freeze-thaw cycles

can
disrupt root pads and lead to this kind of problem.

Hi and thanks for your help.
As it turns out, and matches your advice, the elm buds are now showing signs
of green, so yeah, it was later.
I didn't realise with the maple that it was a natural thing. The
furriness(sp?) seem to be a casing which today show signs of breaking open
and I can see the leaves.
I have the advantage here of no snow, no sub zero temps. In winter we may
get a frost or few, with the lowest temps reaching about 0 degs celcius
(freezing point of water) though this is the first year I have taken more
care in protecting them from it.
Thanks again
Andrew
--