Old 29-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Mike

Default Three puzzling questions about my Phalaenopsis!

Hello Orchid Friends!

I bought a Phalaenopsis orchid last Christmas. It was halfway in bloom
and continued to bloom until February. It had 6 leaves when I bought
it (3 of them large, 1 medium size, and 2 small).

From the time the last blossom fell, it grew 3 additional large
beautiful leaves. Two of them are full grown and the 3rd one is still
growing. So, in total it has 9 healthy leaves.

Question: Is it normal for a phalaenopsis to grow 3 leaves in one
season and have 9 leaves total without any of the bottom ones dying
off?

The orchid has flowered 2 times in total. I know this from counting
where the old spikes were cut.

Question: Where do new flower spikes emerge from? Do they always come
from beneath the plant? Do they come from where the old spikes came
from? Or do they come from the next leaf up from the leaf that the
previous spike came from?

Question: My plant seems very healthy and happy. Would such a plan
possibly produce multiple spikes? It only had one spike when I bought
it.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Mike

http://www.usenet.com