Old 29-09-2004, 01:53 PM

Yes. put something around the heater to keep it from touching the pond liner. or,
suspend it from something over the pond.
I wouldnt recommend leaving the bubble wrap floating on the water. find some way of
suspending it 4-5 inches over the top. and strong enough to hold snow.
you need an air pump and airstones to put oxygen into the water.
If you seal the bubble wrap up and over teh pond, then do use a bucket filter with a
pump to keep moving the water and cleaning up the water during the winter.
in your small pond the temp could stay well above 55oF most of the winter. my 1600
gallon did all but one month. and I fed them a little bit every few days all winter
too. Ingrid

(MC) wrote:
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.