Old 29-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Kay

In article , novocastria
writes

I live in March. VERY windy up here! lol
Leylandii are not my favourite tree! But if I wasn't bothered by the
look of them I would plant some but I favour the Hawthorn mentioned
earlier.... the smell of the blossom in the Spring is gorgeous and
looks amazing! My plot is 150 metres long by30 ft at the top near the
house and just 12 at the bottom! What on earth can I do with that!!!

All sorts of things - for a start it gives you the chance to visually
break it up so you can't see the end from the house, so that going into
the garden is a journey of discovery - it makes it a lot more enticing
to go out into the garden in the winter than it would be if you could
see everything from the window. And breaking it up will help with your
wind tunnel.

Heavy clay is not the word! How come the soil in the fields is like
black compost and I get the short straw!! lol

But you haven't! Heavy clay plus humus = loam which is a very fertile
soil. So start a compost heap and start adding humus. You'll find things
will grow in abundance, and you won't be forever watering in the summer.
--
Kay