Old 30-09-2004, 05:35 AM
Rick

"MC" wrote in message
om...
After much research, I've decided to use solar bubble wrap pool cover
floated on the top of my pond and a titanium tube-style heater. The
pool cover will have a border of about an inch to allow gases to
escape. My questions a

1) How do you use one of these acquarium-type heaters? I would imagine
it would burn the pond liner if I just throw it in there. If I suspend
it, I would be concerned of it getting knocked loose. Do I need a
wire/mesh case to keep the fish from burning themselves?

2) I've read bio filters are useless below 50 degree. So I won't run
it. Is it better to remove it from the pond, or just leave it? I
anticipate the heater will keep my pond around 40. I don't intend on
"heating" it, just keeping it from freezing solid.

FYI: I am in zone 5, 500 gallons, 30" deep, 6 Koi

I am no expert at this. In fact I am a first year ponder. I have been
lurking in this group for six months or so and have read several book on
ponding. So for what it's worth here is my advise.
I'm using a bubbler and a stock tank heater as a back up if it looks like
the bubbler can't handle the job. Remember you are only trying to keep the
pond from freezing over completely. I live in central MO 1200 gallons 26"
deep, don't know the zone. I have been told that you should not run the pump
in the winter it will mix all the different layers of water disturbing that
warm layer at the bottom. Yes the warm water is at the bottom. If it where
on top the pond would freeze from the bottom up. This is also why you only
put the bubbler about six " below the service. As fare as the filter you
really don't need it either, you stop feeding the fish at a water temp of 45
degrease . so there is little to no litter from them that the bubbler can't
handle and algae is not going to form at those temps either. The fish stay
at the bottom where the water is warmest and seam to do OK even the Koi.
Don't start to feed the fish again before the water temp goes above 45-50
degrease and will stay there. Fish don't digest food under 45 degrease and
the undigested food can harm, or even kill them.
What I need help on is how do I over winter my Water Lettuce, my Marginal
and Bog plants. I know to put my Lilly's in the deepest part of the pond.
The others I will bring onto the house but don't know how to go about doing
this?